Don't Judge A Book...


“I'm pretty, but I'm not beautiful.
I'm sin, but I'm not the devil.
I'm good, but I'm not an angel.
I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love.” -  Marilyn M.

 

What is love? What is happiness? What is confidence? These are all questions that can be answered differently, depending on who you ask and at what time. I have always struggled with the fact that perception is reality… meaning, people view you as who you are through their perception and this can sometimes be the total opposite of the person you really are. This is a personal struggle of mine… to know that perception is IN FACT reality.

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”  - Marilyn M.

 

It’s also very easy to say, “I don’t care what people think, I know who I am, and I’m a great person”. But, if these great attributes are not being perceived properly, then that should say something to you… Well, it did for me, at least! When I am down and out and in the dumps, it’s NO SECRECT!! I’m pitiful and looking for the world’s shoulder to cry on. I may sometimes vent on Twitter or Facebook (which IS NOT recommended) to get some things off my chest! These rants can change my followers’/friends’ entire perception of the person they think I am! But once again, PERCEPTION is REALITY.

“I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved for myself & for my talent.”  - Marilyn M.

I have since found a different way to deal with stressful times, because even though what others think of me shouldn’t impact who I am, it does! I don’t want to be known as the crybaby, never happy, ungrateful, attention seeking woman. I want to be viewed as the happy, content, supportive, and confident woman that I am, who happens to fall down every once in a while. And falling is okay, as long as you get up and not lie there and wallow in the dirt.

“Just because you fall once, doesn't mean you're gonna fall at everything. Keep trying, hold on, & always trust yourself, because if you don't then who will?” - Marilyn M.

One case that I think of where perception WAS NOT reality is the life of Marilyn Monroe.  She was perceived as America’s sex symbol, a beautiful, confident woman who every man desired.  When in actuality she was insecure and was desperate for love.

“I just want to be wonderful.” - Marilyn M.
 

Recently I’ve found a new favorite television show, it’s called SMASH, which just had its season finale last Monday on NBC. It’s about the making of a Broadway SMASH hit.  The hit they are working on is a musical about the life of Marilyn Monroe. And how at the end of her days she was alone… beautiful, successful, loved from afar, but alone. 

“Being a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered.”  - Marilyn M.

SMASH taught me a few things about how I perceive people. I always thought that beautiful people were happy and rich people were comfortable. That successful people were fulfilled and calm people had everything under control. But these are all perceptions that I create through my own judgment and these things are not always true. I’ve learned to get to know the people that I interact with and not let things they say in a moment or reactions they have during emotional times build their character. 

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”  - Marilyn M.


Table for One please… Learning and growing… Love me or leave me alone!

BACK TO HAPPY TIP: Learn to be happy with yourself and the opinions of others won’t matter as much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"If you're really a prince, I'll marry you..."

Weddings & Babies... Weddings & Babies...

The BEST OF Table 4 One: The MILK and The HONEY